Saturday, February 7, 2009

Stories from Her Little Mind

You would not believe all the amazing stories that the princess has shared with us about her life in Ethiopia! As I work diligently to finish up her life book, I'm struck by the fact that I'm trying to write her lifestory which she already knows in her sweet little mind. It is a daunting task to try to combine all the stories that she has shared into one little book about her....so very intimidating! Two nights ago, we were sitting on the couch in a quiet moment (which, of course, doesn't happen too much in our house), and I asked her if she knew why Mama G & Mama M decided that it was best for her to become part of our family. She then started telling me about how mean the neighborhood kids were to her & her "sister"...how they kicked them in the face & even knocked out one of her "sister's" teeth. Our conversation continued to expore possible reasons, & it eventually led to her telling me for the first time about the day that she went to Hannah's Hope. She told me that they went there two times. The first time, they just went to talk to Almaz & she said that day didn't make her cry. However, "a long time after that" she had been out playing with her friends & some of her famiy was helping to clean up her aunt's home. Then she said her "father" came to vist. I was a little confused because she told me awhile back about when her "dad" (Mama M's husband, who would actually be Great Uncle) died. I questioned her about "father". And she said, "Like Jesus"...I realized she was talking about a priest or elder from their church. After talking some more, we realized that her family had asked the "father" to come by to bless her before they took her to Hannah's Hope. After the blessing, she & the two women who had loved her & cared for her for the first years of her life, walked bravely to Hannah's Hope for the last time together. She said on that day, she did cry "very much". I'm sure they did, as well! I hesitated on whether I would share this...it is very personal, but it clearly demonstrates the love of a birthmother...planning for weeks & then having their religious leader make a special visit to their home to pray a blessing over their child as they prepare to say "goodbye" to her. I'm not sure that I could ever be that selfless...what an amazing, strong woman that takes! Occasionally someone will say, "Oh, she's so lucky to finally have a family who loves her". I think that out of all the stupid comments we have heard, this one bothers me the most! She has always had a family who has loved her very, very much...now she just has two families that love her very much! I am so thankful that the princess is old enough to have so many vivid memories of her birthfamily. I only know them from the short little meeting that we had with them, but through all the stories she has told us, I have grown to love & respect them more & more. Now, off to finish her lifebook (for now, but, of course, I will leave plenty of empty spaces for all the stories that are still to come).... :-)

6 comments:

  1. What an amazing story. These children are truly loved by their birth families. Thank you for sharing it. You're right, hearing about her life in Ethiopia in her own words is priceless. Wow.. how did you keep a dry eye?

    I'm also glad she's feeling comfortable about opening up about her history. Wow.. what a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff and I were actually talking about birth families this morning. What an amazing act of selflessness and complete and total love they have for their children! And those of us that are the adoptive parents get to reap the amazing benefit of their gifts! Thanks for sharing! OE is a truly precious, radiant child! We love her so much and the rest of your awesome family, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing that story with us. It does shed new light on what some birth families go through before making such a touch decision for their sweet children. I am so glad that G is able to share these stories with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome that she has so many memories to share. We know our childs birthmom also made at least one visit to hannah's hope before he came to stay. His medicals are from dec 11th and he didnt come there to live until dec 23rd. However he is only a little over 7 months old now so i'm sure he won't have any memories to share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is truly amazing to think that God sees ALL of the Ethiopian princess' life, and that He orchestrated it all so perfectly to bring you together. At nighttime, as I'm cuddling our own princess, I often think of the love and sacrifice it took for her birthfamily to give her into our responsibility and care. I'm praying for you as you write G's birthfamily memories. May God fill you with His hope and peace today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow...what a touching story! Brought tears to my eyes! You wrote this beautifully and explained the "stupid comment" perfectly. It's something a lot of Americans have a hard time "getting." These are not unwanted children! They are SOOOOOO loved and wanted. So many Americans just have NO idea of the selfless (tremendoulsy painful) sacrifices that some mommas in the 3rd world have to make!

    ReplyDelete