Sunday, August 16, 2009

1st Gotcha Day




We are so excited to be celebrating 1 year of having our sweet girl in our arms. We have been blessed with one amazing little girl, & most days I can't believe she's ours yet I feel like she's been with us forever. Sweet OE reminds me of so many things related to God's love for me, lessons in life, & being a mom. When I see the strength in her eyes, I am reminded that NO MATTER what we face, HE is with us & will strengthen us & allow us to soar like eagles, above our circumstances & to a place where we can rest in His arms! I think of all she has overcome & how everything (good, sad, unfair....EVERYTHING) has helped her become the girl she is today & the woman she will become. I know that God has huge plans for Miss OE. He has already changed my heart & effected the hearts of so many others. I can never say to her, "Life's not fair", because she has lived it! She knows that life, this world, & reality just plain stink sometimes, but she doesn't harbor resentment. She "puts on her big girl panties" (thanks, Cayla for that phrase) and moves on with life. She knows that God did not bring her through her circumstances to have her complain & use them as a crutch but to use them for His purpose. As she has been experiencing the arrival of her Ethiopian cousin to America, her little world has been rocked once again (that story is for another post, at another time). However, the thought process she has shared with me absolutely blows me away. She wants so badly to be with her cousin & "run to her & hug her", but she seems to understand that we are waiting on God's timing. She has shed plenty of tears this weekend, but she has come through them with an amazing peace (& I know that could only be accomplished through God's hand on her heart). She has more wisdom & faith than many grown adults. My prayer is that she will ALWAYS remember where she has come from & WHO carried her all along the way, how God always does work for the good of those who love Him. I am forever grateful to her Ethiopian family for giving her a fresh hope & future in our family. I pray that I can have the same strength & trust in God's provision & care for His children as they have shown. I thank God everyday for Him moving in their hearts & guiding them to Hannah's Hope, the place where we were united with our daughter forever. I am thankful for the amazing people at the orphanage who loved her, held her, & cared for her until we could become her family. We love you, Princess! Happy 1st Gotcha Day! One year down, forever to go!
"ForI know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper
you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future".
Jeremiah 29:11

8 comments:

  1. Happy Gotcha Day, OE! What a sweet, wonderful, beautiful child you have on your hands! God surely made her for your family! I am so thankful for your "story", because it has played such an important part in our "story." God used your adoption journey to put an exclamation point on his plan for us! Thank you for letting us be a part! When we finally get to share our Gotcha Day pictures, know that you following God's plan played a part in us bringing our sweet princess home! We love y'all! Hope the first day of school goes well today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post K! Happy Gotcha Day sweet OE! We are all so thankful that you are here! I can't wait to see you continue to grow and spread your wings.

    Keeping OE in my prayers during the transition of her cousin and all those big emotions for such a little girl (that would be hard for anyone, but so much harder at her age). May God's strength continue to hold her and embrace her. *hug*

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful post! happy 1st gotcha day!! i hope you guys have a wonderful time celebrating as a family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a great post. Happy first gotcha day, sweet girl. You all must be very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely a beautiful lesson to learn, but sometimes easier said than done. Isn't absolutely amazing....how much our children teach us? I am learning constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe it's been a year. OE had been home just a few days when I attended my first ET picnic...She amazed me then just like she does now. You have a beautiful gift from God!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To the little PRINCESS's parents!

    I would love to connect with you to learn more about your experience with your little princess, and her adjustments with new family.
    I just started the adoption journey with AGCI, hoping to find my 3-5 y.o. little princess also ! :-)
    Lan
    lehoanglan99@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete